The importance of Godly Community is a topic that has been on my heart for a while. This section on faith really stretch me. I have to make sure I am genuinely putting out Gods words.
"Proverbs 13:20 Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm. "
As Christians we were never designed to do life alone. God could've left Adam alone instead he chose to make Eve from his rib for companionship. Jesus didn't walk alone he had disciples. It's very important that you use discernment when choosing companionship and friendships. These same people will influence your behavior, your decisions and choices in life. Ask yourself this, who are the people you spend the most time with? Do these people influence Godly behavior? Are these people pouring into your life and not only withdrawing?
At this point you're probably still wondering the importance of community and the components. Here are a few things that has been reviled to me.
1. Community allow for a place for security (James 4:11) this should be a group where you can freely speak and cast all your sins. These people will pray for you when times are tough.
2. Community challenge you to be more like Christ. In any group there will be difference in opinion. community allows you to remember the center who is God and work on any issues with love, Patients, forgiveness and empathy. (Acts 2:42-47)
3. Community will carry you in the hard times.(Galatians 6:2) just as much as we are given the responsibility to carry our brothers and sisters burden we are given the opportunity to have people around that you can ask for support, prayer or a shoulder to cry on.
4. Community allow you to empathizes with others. (1 Thessalonians 5:14)within community you are called out of our self-centered way and look around to help the weak and be patient with everyone.
5. Community strengthen your relationship with God. (proverbs 27:17) Have you ever heard the saying there is strength in numbers. When you have a community of other believers it empowers your faith. We need people that will keep us accountable, ask tough questions and ,challenge us to really live what we are saying.
Have you ever had a moment where someone crossed your mind and you can't get them off of your mind? I've learned to listen to this voice. it is the Holy Spirit telling you that your sister or brother in Christ need you spiritually. pick up the phone call/text and check up on them outside of social media.
On several occasions I would text/call a friend because they crossed my mind. One specific occurrence I had no idea what was going on with my friend. Some times we go through things and tend to shut people out. However, on my way to work early in the morning. I couldn’t walk in without texting her and letting her know “what ever it is you're holding on to you need to let it go” No,I didn’t see her venting on some social media post . She told me in that moment she needed that . I didn’t want the details of whatever it was she was going through at that moment. I told her when ever you she feel like speaking about it I’m an open ear and will never judge. I said a prayer for her and told her “let it go”.
God will use you if you listen. God will use you if you just obey. You have lives attached to you .lives that you can save if you take away pride & let God direct your steps.
What does community look like for you?
Be a Blessing, Love you for reading